Essex Show Site
Frequently Asked Questions
- When is the Show?
- Where is the Show?
- At Boyton Hall, Boyton Cross, Roxwell, Chelmsford, Essex CM1 4LT
- There will be plenty of AA yellow road signs on the approach roads to the Showground to help direct you
- What time does the Show open?
- The Show opens to the public at 9.30am
- What time does the Show finish?
- There is no set time, but people are generally heading home between 5pm to 6pm
- What are the parking arrangements?
- The parking is free and is on a field to the side of the Showground
- There will be plenty of marshals on the day to direct you to the parking area and help where necessary
- For those parking furthest away we do provide a tractor and covered trailer to transport you to the entry gates
- Is there any disabled parking?
- Yes, we have disabled parking bays marked by the blue badge sign and close to the entry gates
- Are there any disabled facilities at the Showground?
- We offer mobility scooters and these are available for the day or in advance. Anyone requiring to hire a mobility scooter or wheelchair, please contact ‘Mobility Hire 4 You’ http://mobilityhire4you.com. You can then book their wheelchair or scooter direct from them by booking on-line or calling the Events Team on 01353 653752 who will be happy to assist.
- If you prefer to get one on Show Day itself, they are available from the stand clearly marked near the disabled parking bays before the Entry Gates in the main car park.
- Can I bring my dog to the Show?
- Yes we welcome well behaved dogs, but please keep on a lead as we have numerous livestock at the Showground.
- We do provide free dog poo bags and disposal bins at the Showground as well as water bowls for dogs.
- Do you have baby changing facilities?
- We wouldn’t have a family show without baby changing facilities – Of course we do!
- What are the ticket prices?
- (Adults (16 -59) = £14
- Children (3 to 15) = No charge
- Concession (60 and over) = £10
- Available in advance online at a 15% discount until Saturday 20th May (midnight)
- You will not be able to buy tickets online on Show Day although we will have plenty of entry gates open so you can pay on the day (card or cash accepted). Full price tickets only.
- Tickets can be bought at the discounted rate at the site office at the showground until Friday 20th May. No tickets are available at the site office on Saturday 20th or Sunday 21st May
- Can be bought in various ways:
- by calling on 01245 360442 and we can take a card payment over the phone – please note there is a £1.50 charge for postage per overall booking or free if you wish to collect from the office.
- online via our website www.essexyoungfarmersshow.co.uk where you will be taken to the Ticketsource website who will either send an ETICKET (emailed ticket with a barcode) or post you your tickets – please note a £1.50 charge applies per overall booking for posted tickets, ETICKETS are free.
- by sending a cheque made payable to Essex Young Farmers to Essex YFC Centre, Whitbreads Barn, Chatham Green, Essex CM3 3LQ with a stamped addressed envelope.
- Alternatively, if you are local to the County Office, feel free to pop in during office hours (9.30 am to 4.30 pm Monday to Friday) and we can sell you tickets direct.
- Please note, the week before the Show the County Office will be based in the mobile office at the Showground which is accessible should you need to buy tickets then (Monday 15th to Friday 19th May).
What happens if I have bought tickets in advance?
- One of the benefits of buying your ticket in advance means you can avoid too much queuing by using our “Speedy Boarding” gates when you arrive. These will be clearly marked and enable you to simply show your ticket in order to gain entry to the Show.
Do you have cash machines at the Showground?
I am afraid we do not.
How many people visit the Show?
- In 2016 we had over 15,00 visitors to the one day event
How would we know if the Show has been cancelled?
- We would make the decision as far in advance of the Show Day itself as possible and would make sure our website is clearly updated and use local radio to let people know.
What kind of entertainment do you provide?
- We have 4 rings at the Show: the Main Ring with assorted attractions, the South Ring with livestock activities, the Equine Ring with horse related displays and the Game Fair Ring where we have a packed & varied timetable.
- As well as numerous Tradestands, we also have a Festival of Food, a Rural Crafts & Shopping marquee, a Horticultural Tent, Game Fair, Vintage Tractors, Steam Engines, Vintage Steam Funfair, Forestry Area, Livestock Area, Equine Area, Tea Rooms, an Exhibition Hall, a bar plus a variety of caterers so you will not go hungry or thirsty!
Do you have anyone offering first aid at the Show?
- Yes, we always make sure we have a first aid provider who is easily accessible on the day – The British Red Cross will be in attendance for 2017
Are we able to see who is exhibiting in advance of the Show?
- We generally put exhibitors on the website, according to the area they are exhibiting in, about 2 to 3 weeks before the Show
Do you offer a programme on the day of the Show?
- Yes we give every visitor a free programme on Show Day along with a pull out map detailing the Show layout and each area is clearly listed
Do you publicise the Show?
- Yes we use a variety of methods including local radio, the local paper and various other publications.
- We promote the Show around the Essex area the weekend before the Show with Young Farmers from all 10 clubs putting on a publicity day in their local area.
- In addition, we put up showboards around the local area and promote the Show on our website and other social networking sites
Can we bring our own food to the Show?
- Yes of course you can – we have areas with straw bale seating so feel free to bring a picnic!
How do I find out about being a Young Farmer?
- Our organisation is open to anyone aged 16 to 26 and you do not even have to be a farmer to join!
- Take a look in our YFC Publicity Tent called “What is YFC?” as you come in through the Main Gates where you will find current members who will be happy to talk to you about the organisation.
What are the contact details for the County Office:
Mary Priest (County Organiser) or Carole Cooper (Assistant to the CO)
Tel: 01245 360442
Essex YFC Centre, Whitbreads Barn, Chatham Green, Chelmsford, Essex. CM3 3LQ
Open Tuesday to Friday 9.30am to 4.30pm
From Monday 15th May to Saturday 20th of May we will be located in the Mobile Office at the Showground – Boyton Hall, Roxwell, CM1 4LT
Monday to Friday = 8am to 6pm
Saturday = 8am to 6pm (closed 1pm to 2.30pm for lunch)
- What are the parking/site arrangements?
- Green Pass – allows access onto Showground to unload on Show Day between 6am and 8.30am. If your vehicle is part of your stand you will be allowed to stay on site, but if not you will be directed to the Tradestand Car Park once unloaded. You will be directed to your stand by the Young Farmers on the day. PLEASE HANG THIS IN YOUR WINDSCREEN.
- Yellow Pass – you will have received one of these if you need to park near the Livestock Area or are an Essex YFC Subscriber, VP or Trustee. You will need to show your entry passes/Exhibitor wristbands (please be WEARING Exhibitor wristbands) at the Subscribers Gate which will be clearly marked to gain access onto the Showground or you can use the Main Gate if preferred. PLEASE HANG THIS IN YOUR WINDSCREEN.
- Parking is free for everyone including the public so if you have any friends or family attending they will not need vehicle passes and can use the public car park.
- Passes are only needed on Show Day and NOT if you are setting up during Show Week.
- We have given passes with all confirmation letters, but if you think you need more please give County Office plenty of notice rather than in Show Week when we are very busy.
- What happens in the event of a cancellation?
- If we cancel – we will make sure every exhibitor is advised prior to Show Day and we therefore request emails and phone numbers are provided where applicable to make this as streamlined as possible. See the Regulations for our full Cancellation Policy.
- If you cancel – Please let us know before the 2nd of May latest if you wish to cancel your stand – failure to do so will result in loss of your stand cost. Please see the Regulations for our full Cancellation Policy.
- When can we set up?
- Tradestands only: you will be able to set up from the Wednesday of Show Week as we will have the pitches marked out by then. The site will be open from 8am to 6pm on weekdays and 6am to 8pm on Saturday – we have security overnight from Wednesday. Any earlier than Wednesday will require prior approval with the Tradestand Organiser.
- Festival of Food: you will be able to set up from 10am to 6pm on the Saturday before Show Day. The marquee is in use prior to the Saturday hence the time restrictions.
- All other areas: the Young Farmers should have all marquees up ready by the Friday of Show Week so you can set up as per the Tradestand notes above – but not earlier than the Friday. Please contact your Area Organiser as per your acceptance letter if you have any queries.
- On Show Day: Showground open from 6am to 8.30am, but no vehicular access on site allowed between 8.30am and 6pm due to members of the public arriving/departing.
- Professional security is in place, but please note that anything left is at your own risk.
- Can I have my stand details in advance of the Show?
- Sorry it is not the policy of Essex Young Farmers to give exact pitch locations prior to the event (except for confirmation of your Ringside request in the case of Tradestands). Normally we are able to give you the Block you are in, if you have a Tradestand, but minor tweaks leading up to the event mean we simply cannot give more detailed information. We understand you often wish to direct customers or family and friends to your stand, but all visitors to the Show are given a map on Show Day showing the layout of the blocks and marquees with a list of names so everyone is easy to find.
- When you arrive to set up or on Show Day itself, ask for the relevant Area Organiser (e.g. Tradestand/Game Fair/Rural Crafts & Shopping Marquee/Festival of Food/Forestry etc) who will direct you to your exact location – please do not start setting up without confirmation that this is definitely your pitch as you may be asked to move.
- Each Area Organiser will do their best to accommodate any special requests regarding layout and location, but please note these are not guaranteed and you will need to discuss any finer points direct with your Area’s Organiser.
- Entry pass information
- Please note all Exhibitors have been sent entry wristbands, which MUST be worn on arrival to ensure a smooth entry onto the Showground and allowing them to go in & out of the Showground freely. Any advance passes purchased can be selected as wristbands or paper tickets – both cost the same and give entry to the Show although the wristbands are better suited to staff who may need to go on and off the Showground while the paper tickets are better for any guests who are coming to visit the Show.
- All Livestock exhibitors will receive wristbands as entry tickets and again these MUST be worn on arrival on Show Day in order to gain entry, but do allow you to go in and out of the Showground as required.
- If you do not have wristbands or tickets with you on Show Day, you will be asked to pay the full entry price and this is clearly noted in your acceptance letter.
- What happens if I lose or do not receive my entry passes?
- We email/call when confirmation letters and passes are sent out and request you contact us within 7 days if you have not received.
- If you do lose or do not receive your passes, we will null and void the original tickets and re-send you your allocation as long as you have advised us before the 9th of May to enable us time to post replacements.
- We will send a reminder 3 weeks before the event to ensure you have not mislaid in the interim.
- We simply cannot send out replacements the week before Show as it is our busiest week!
- What are the age brackets for tickets and what are the standard prices?
- Adult: aged 16 to 59 – standard price £14 – trade price in advance = £8
- Child: aged 3 – 15 – no charge
- Concession: aged 60+ – standard price = £10 – trade price in advance = £6
- What time does the Show open/close?
- We open for Exhibitors at 6am until 8.30am and the general public at 9.30am
- The Show tends to finish about 5pm as the public head home
- Due to the public being on the Showground we cannot allow any vehicular movement between 8.30am and 6pm on Show Day
- If you wish to come up during Show Week (Mon 16th to Sat 21st May) to set up, drop off banners or collect passes etc, the Young Farmers are on site 24/7, but the Site Office is open 8am to 6pm Mon to Fri and 8am to 12pm on Sat.
- Is there electricity available?
- The Rural Crafts & Shopping Marquee, Forestry Marquee and the Festival of Food Area are the only areas where we do offer electricity and we charge £20 a socket due to the cost in providing this service – option to request a socket is on the application forms.
- Tradestands or outside pitches will have to provide their own generators – obviously we prefer the quieter models to keep the noise to a minimum.
- We do not allow generators inside the marquees – these include the Game Fair Tent, Horticultural Tent, Rural Crafts & Shopping Marquee, Festival of Food and Forestry Tent.
- How do I advertise/sponsor the Show?
- We offer a range of opportunities to promote your company/product so simply contact County Office and we will send you all the details.
- Please bear in mind the Show Programme will be going to print in early April so we do need any advertising artwork by the 6th March 2017
- Can I come up and mow my pitch during Show Week?
- Yes – feel free to contact us to see if access is available on the day you prefer, but NOT before Wednesday the 17th as your pitch will not be marked until then!
- Alternatively, there are a couple of Young Farmers who would only charge a small fee to mow the area on your behalf – again call the County Office to see if available and to discuss the cost.
- Do you provide ATM machines?
- If I stay overnight before the Show is there any food or drink available on site?
- Yes we will have the bar open from 6pm on Saturday for any exhibitors staying overnight and a catering van will also be open to serve food during the day.
- Who should I contact in the event of a query?
- If you have an admin related query such as requiring more car park passes or entry tickets, please contact County Office (see below).
- Any other general queries can also be dealt with by the County Office staff – Mary and Carole.
- If you have a specific layout question you are best to call the area organiser as per your confirmation letter or see below.
- If you cannot get hold of the Young Farmer you need, please call County Office and we can pass any messages on.
COUNTY OFFICE – Tel: 01245 360442
Young Farmer Contacts:
Show Chairman: Jack Anger
Tradestand Organiser: Hew Willett
Rural Crafts & Shopping: Sophie Bennett
Festival of Food: Amy Walker-Roy
Forestry Area: Chris Theobald
Equine Area –Summer Dan and Laura Edwards
Horticultural Tent: Liz Bacon
Vintage Tractors: Jeffrey Giblin
Game Fair: Hannah Kelsey & Tom Chandler
Livestock: Sophie Hutley
Steam/Traction Engines: Howard Smallbone